32 reasons I run (and I’m not getting over it)
I really don’t want to do this. But as a runner, and a writer, I simply must.
I’m going against myself to give MORE attention to an inane article (and poorly written at that) published on the Wall Street Journal titled “OK, You’re a Runner. Get Over It.” Basically, the writer makes an outcry about how people who run, like to run, and like to express it via social media, their bumper stickers, or choice of clothing. (Ha!)
Instead of inciting anger or rendering me doubtful about why I do what I do, the article made me laugh and pity Couch Potato Chad Stafko. Good thing there are programs for reversing that…
Not ones to sit down and stay quiet, the running community went a little vocal when this came out. Instead of writing an argumentative piece counteracting all of Chad’s statements, however, I’d like to thank him first. His article did make me feel a little nuts for loving running so much, but you know, I’ve been looking for what sets me apart from all the other blonde 20-somethings working in the bluegrass music industry. Being nuts is a good identifier. So thanks for the exercise in self-identity, Chad.
I appreciate his article, too, because it made me contemplate the reasons why I run, and why I love it. So in our list-driven world, I’m contributing mine: 32 reasons I run (and I’m not getting over it).
1. It’s free
2. I get to shed femininity and spit and snot rocket and other non-feminine things
3. I genuinely enjoy working up a sweat
4. Post-run beers
5. I have witnessed more beautiful sunrises and sunsets than I can keep track of or Instagram
6. Getting my nature fix. Because nature is neat.
7. The opportune moment when you pass another runner and give each other high fives
11. Heroes, and chances to meet them
12. Weight loss/management (special note: Since I seriously took up running, I’ve lost 30 pounds.)
13. My Garmin
14. Free swag at races
15. Free food and drinks at races (pshhh race fees. shhh!)
16. Running friends who like to talk about running with you, and you don’t feel like you’re boring/confusing them
17. An excuse to wear a headlamp
18. More showers
20. IT’S THE MOST FUN THING TO BRAG ABOUT EVER, so deal, because I’m not gonna stop
21. Every month I get Runner’s World in the mail, which isn’t bills, bills, bills.
22. Tech t-shirts
23. New shoes every few months
24. Empty streets early in the morning
25. Running past graduations, circuses, parades, food truck festivals (a lesson in always carrying cash!), proposals, breakups, and many very nice and vocal homeless citizens. Been there, done that
26. Jamming out to music like Foo Fighters, Neil Young, and Tom Petty, and learning all the words because you never rotate their “Greatest Hits” off your playlist
28. Athletic wear, because I wish I could get away with wearing tights and Oiselle ALL the time (something of which Stafko totally doesn’t get, which must really suck for him)
29. It gives me something to write about (ahem, hence this blog)
30. I have to do something better than my boyfriend, because he’s really good at a lot of things
31. Two words: Foam. Roller.
32. I really enjoy pancakes, and I also really enjoy being a size 4
Sorry I have to stop there. I could go on. But if you’ll excuse me, I’ve gotta run.